Thursday, August 18, 2016

Weekly Video Roundup: Dutch cargo, 14k feet, and more


Welcome to the weekly video roundup. I have a fresh batch of great cycling videos for you. I want to start off with the latest from Mike Cotty of Col Collective. He’s been branching out from the French Alps as he rides (and narrates) up Mount Evans in Colorado. It’s over 14,000 feet, which is 3000 more than Mt. Hood, the highest in Oregon. It’s also very impressive compared to the European peaks, as the video illustrates.

New Streetfilms videos are always a treat, and this one reminds me of Portland- showing all the families/kids/cargo bikes on the road. I was surprised by the number of adults riding in cargo boxes.

This video mocks congested traffic, arguing why it’s better to be in a car, rather than rushing through like a cyclist.

Strava have been putting out a lot of subtle inspirational videos. I try not to show them all the time, I like this one though. (also: I did this last weekend)

It’s a good week when there’s new Brumotti. My favorite part is where he rides the the edge of the roof. Nope! Not for me.

There’s also new Brunelle. This is a “team time trial” practice. But I’d say it’s gone all weird, given the crazy places they ride through.

If you’re of a certain age you know who Travis Pastrana is. This is a cool bio from him, talking about how he loves to ride (for a specific brand). I didn’t know he was a fred-style road rider too.

From one of my Dutch feeds, here’s a timelapse of a cycle route. Much of it is separated and protected. Even in the least protected area it has rubber stops and paint. AdamH will like the roundabout around the 1-minute mark. Note the temporary cycleway and “cars as guests” roads too. (you can also watch a video showing before/after of this path)

Copenhagen has been building a lot of carfree bridges. I like this video because she does a good job explaining their value. (here’s an explainer on the quirks of the Kissing Bridge)

Do you wave or otherwise greet other cyclists? The first example is what I’d expect when in the middle of nowhere, but probably not the best on a standard basis. I often do a little wave to cyclists while commuting, and my waves/greetings are larger when I’m in more remote areas.

This is a great POV of doing a fast downhill mountain bike course. It starts with loud music and then goes back to ‘natural’ sound. There’s a crunch at about 1:20, either a wheel or a frame bottoming out, maybe?

I like this video of a cross-country trip in Australia. At 14 minutes it wouldn’t be out of place in a Filmed By Bike fest. (the struggles around the 8 minute mark remind me of a churchgoing childhood I’ve tried to forget)

GCN did a museum and factory tour at Trek- perfect for people who like How It’s Made. Note the name of Trek’s paint robot.

Finally, one of my own- a hyperlapse of riding across the Bridge Of The Gods:

Honorable Mentions

This week’s honorable mentions: I’m not great at doing a track stand, but this guy is horrible, paved and mountain bike trail system in Arkansas, see who is paying attention, 40 minutes of Red Hook London, if you like watching things backwards, bike/car collaborations (aka bikes by car companies), and a bike ride as a movie trailer.

Inclusion criteria: If I’ve missed something, post it in the comments! I prefer videos published in the last week or so. Note if there’s a specific point in a long video that is worth highlighting. Also note if there is colorful language. I will delay videos containing pro racing spoilers by 7 days.

– Ted Timmons, @tedder42

The post Weekly Video Roundup: Dutch cargo, 14k feet, and more appeared first on BikePortland.org.



from Front Page – BikePortland.org http://ift.tt/2brEP7X

No comments:

Post a Comment