Friday, June 15, 2018

What is the meaning of the term "Taekwondo"?

I videotaped myself nerding out on the term "Taekwondo". I found it a fitting next video as my last nerding out was on how to write taekwondo in Korean using Hangul (The Korean writing system), but while I went into some detail demonstraing how to write the term I never touched upon the mening of the term. Taekwondo is often translated as Tae = Foot, Kwon = Fist and Do = Art (or way), but this is a very simplified translation of the term. Choi Hong Hi who came up with the term in around 1955 wrote several books on Taekwondo and he did also give us a very clear and consice translation on what the term meant, and this should be something we all should learn straight from his own works. In this clip I have included a paraphrasing of his translation, and the exact quote from his 15 volume encyclopedias. I have gone into a little history on the term, as well as a few different interpretations around what the term means in a wider sense (combative strategy, philosophical and descriptive of the system of the whole). I hope you enjoy the clip and as always: Any like, share, comment and subscription is highly appreciated:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubp3CM0C-5g&feature=youtu.be


Question of the day: What kind of topics would YOU like me to cover in a future "mini lecture" like this?



from Traditional Taekwondo Ramblings https://ift.tt/2JDYDa5

No comments:

Post a Comment